Saturday 19 September 2020

Continuing the build...

 So the replacement Y-Axis belt arrived from Prusa. After a little work I managed to complete the Y-Axis build and managed to claim my first share of Gummy Bears.


From there on, I managed to complete the X-Axis, and the Z-Axis, before starting on the E-Axis. At this point the tips of my fingers were beginning to ache from all the fiddly work.

So, for today I've decided to call it a day. I'll start again tomorrow.

Now the build has been relatively straight forward. Apart from dropping a few of the nuts on the florr, they only awkward parts that I have found have been issues with the way the ABS parts have been printed. There seems to be a lot of stringing across various parts. Especially where the M3nS nuts have to be inserted which has made fitting them a trifle tricky at times. I've taken to wiggling the smallest Allen Key in the slots to try and break any stringing parts to make installation easier. It seems to work as the after I started doing that the nuts slotted in easier.

However I have noticed that I will be heading towards a big problem in the not too distant future.

I wanted to put the printer inside a cupboard. Not only to make it stable in terms of temperature, but also to keep any dust and debris from getting it too clogged up. However after I made up the spool holder I realised that the cupboard is just not tall enough. I can't fully fit the spool holder in place, let alone fit an actual spool of filament onto the holder. So what to do?

I think the best option would be for me to drill a hole in the top. I need to drill one in the back anyway so that I can provide power to the gubbins. But if I put one in the "ceiling" then I can fit a dry box up top to keep all of my filaments in and then feed them down to the printer below. It solves a couple of issues, not only keeping the filaments in a safe, dry dust free enclosure but also I won't need to get a bigger cupboard or have to printer out in the open.


No comments:

Post a Comment